Thursday, October 3, 2013

Reminders and Updates

Sorry that this weekly update is getting published on Thursday afternoon. I've been prepping two schools for their monthly mass and preparing for Grandparents Day at my other School (St. Catherine of Siena) Regardless, the past week and change has been a music filled one at St. James!

27 Children showed up to our first Choir rehearsal! We practiced various vocal warm up and learned a hymn that I learned to sing at the music camp I used to attend/work at. Our music has arrived so we will dive into that this week. There was some confusion (myself included) on where pick up will be. We will remain in the cafeteria, not go up to the gym for dismissal.

If you have a first or second grader, you may have already heard that we started practicing our songs for the Christmas pageant. I'm very impressed with the singing in class. I know it seems early to be thinking of December, but it will be hear before we know it. I know our production will be great!

The third graders got their recorders last week and they already sound like they have been playing for much longer. Right now we are working on the basics, but they will get books after I make an order.

4th Grade has had one playing test and will have another one next week. Please check the homework page to see which example you are responsible for, each class is in a different place.

5th and 6th Grade just finished taking their first quiz of the marking period and I'm very pleased with the results. Please continue to keep up the hard work. Students will have the opportunity to retake the quiz if they got a poor grade. We will discuss this more when I hand the quizzes back next week.

My other grades (K, 7, and 8) have also been working hard. Every week I see progress in each and every student.

On a general note, I'm noticing that some of my students are not always displaying their best behaviors. This effects everyone, myself and their classmates included. While music is a fun time, it also needs to be a time where we listen and follow directions. I want students and parents to be aware that I give many chances, but I will have to start taking recess from those students who can't cooperate with my expectations. This is a small percentage of the school population, the majority of my students are excellent, but I wanted all to be aware.

I hope you are having a great week and have a wonderful weekend. More house hunting for me!

Miss Robideau

No comments:

Post a Comment